My favorite squash
January 13, 2011
Posted by on
I feel like I should apologize for ranting the other day. But apologizing…on a blog? It just seems so morning show.
Perhaps I’ll tell you about my favorite squash instead. Butternut and acorn are sweet and creamy and zucchini has its own place in my heart but nothing (and I do mean NOTHING) is as versatile as the spaghetti squash.
If you choose to cut the squash before cooking, you will most likely wonder at the name. Unless you have a bad squash with sprouted seeds, nothing in its uncooked form even vaguely resembles spaghetti. But therein lies the magic of the spaghetti squash. Upon cooking, the flesh becomes….spaghetti!
The squash lies on the boundaries of many things: vegetable and grain, summer and winter, sweet and savory…
I’ve explored some of the squash’s savory variations in other places on this blog (such as in my Goat Cheese Lasagna and Mac ‘n Cheese with Broccoli), but I decided to try something a little different this time.
I took the maple yogurt sauce from my “Sausage” with Maple Sauce post and put it over some spaghetti squash with peppers and onions. It’s a meal and a dessert all in one.
Creamy, sweet and altogether good for you!
Sweet Spaghetti Squash makes 1 serving
- About 3/4 c. cooked spaghetti squash
- Frozen 3 pepper and onion blend
- Boca burger or veggie beef crumbles
- 1/2 a 6oz container Greek yogurt (if you choose to use regular yogurt, add a squeeze of lemon juice to increase the sour punch)
- Garlic powder (I didn’t measure but about 1/4-1/2 tsp. should be good)
- 2-3 tsp. maple syrup of choice (mine was “diet” but I’m sure this would taste even better with real maple syrup)
- Onion powder, paprika, cumin, all optional
→Cook the boca burger/crumbles according to package directions. If using a burger, chop it into bite size pieces
Saute the 3 pepper and onion blend in cooking spray until onions are browned.
Mix all the sauce ingredients (yogurt, syrup, spices) until creamy. If it’s too thick, add some milk or water till it reaches a good consistency.
Toss spaghetti squash with 3 pepper and onion blend, and boca burger/crumbles.
Top with sauce.